If our training does not meet the high standard you expect from NECA we will refund you the course fee.


Our courses are ASQA compliant.


NECA training will not compromise on quality and ensure you walk away from our courses confident you’ve gained the skills you need.


NECA Training is a not-for-profit entity owned by your industry association. Our prices and information are available on this website.


Being an Industry association allows us to ‘keep our finger on the pulse’ and adapt to the needs the electrical and telecommunications sector.


This training is required if you want to work as a metering technician.

Smart Meter

This unit covers the installation, set up and commission of interval metering for measurement of energy use by consumers under choice of supplier arrangement.

smart metering faq

Do you have a question about Smart Metering Training?


What does Smart Meter Training qualification allow me to do?

The Smart meter qualification (UEENEEG171A) allows you to install smart meters (type 1 to 4) as a sub-contractor for one of the approved metering providers. Not as a sole trader.

ASP + Working Near Powerlines

Want to become an ASP? We offer the best training at competitive prices.


This course if for anyone training to be an ASP and covers competency standard units for the purpose of refresher training and/or to meet regulatory and/or network requirements.

All refresher training

Refresh your knowledge on basic safety training for working on the electricity network with our Annual Refresher Training course.

Working near powerlines (Non-Electrical)

This Unit covers compliance with working safely up to the defined “safe approach distance” near energised electrical apparatus (inc. electrical powerlines) for non-electrical workers.

asp smart meter faq

Do you have a question about ASP + Smart Meter Training?


What do I need to do to become an ASP?

There are 5 basic steps:

  1. Complete the training with us
  2. Set up your safe systems of work
  3. Apply to the Department of Industry to be accredited as an ASP
  4. Purchase all the required safety, rescue and work equipment
  5. Apply with the Electricity Distributors (eg Ausgrid, Endeavour, Essential) to work as an ASP on their network

For more detailed information on the ASP requirements click on the link for a printable version of the Department of Industry ASP-Application-Form-and-Scheme-Rules Nov 2016.


What is ASP – Statutory Training?

Statutory training is your basic safety training for working on the electricity network. It is not required when first submitting your application to become an ASP with the Department of Industry however it is a requirement before being allowed to work on the electricity distributors network ie Ausgrid, Endeavour Energy, Essential Energy. Normally people enrol in the statutory training at the same time as the rest of the ASP training.

Can I be Class 2B (Underground) and Class 2C (Overhead ) ASP accredited only?

Yes. The rules allow you to apply for any Level 2 ASP class independently. You don’t have to complete the Class 2D (Metering) to be eligible for Class 2C (Overhead) or Class 2B (Underground).

Is there a specific order that I need to follow to complete all ASP Level 2 Classes?

Yes. You must complete the ‘Core’ units before being eligible to attend Class 2B (Underground) or Class 2C (Overhead) training. We offer all the components on a rotating roster so there’ll be training for the class you want within the next few weeks. Click on the ‘DATES AND BOOKINGS’ button on the course page for the next available dates.

Do I pay less if I enrol in all Level 2 ASP classes and do the combined training (2B+2C+2D)? What is the difference?

No. You don’t save any money. There are core units of training that repeat themselves throughout all 3 classes so you’re only required to complete them once. This is why the combined course appears cheaper at first glance. If you only attend one class and come back for another class at a later date you will only be required to complete the ‘gap’ training to complete the class. For example; If you complete Class 2B now and come back for Class 2C later you’ll only need to sit for 4 days training not 7.

Do I need to complete the online registration form again for every ASP class?

No. Just complete the online registration for one class (eg Class 2B) and leave a message in the comments field that you want to add more classes (eg Statutory and Class 2C). We’ll do the rest.

Business + Estimating

According to ABS statistics, more than 60 percent of small businesses cease operating within the first 3 years of starting. Don’t be one of them.

Starting an Electrical Business

This course is aimed at both electrical contractors launching their own business and electrical contracting company employees moving into estimating roles.

Estimating Electrical Projects

This course is suitable for both electrical contractors and employees of larger electrical contracting companies moving into estimating roles. The focus of the course is medium commercial project and delivery, in a workshop type environment.

business and estimating

Do you have a question about Business and Estimating?


Are the ‘Starting an Electrical Business’ and ‘Estimating’ courses combined?

No. these are run as 2 separate courses aimed at different people. The ‘Starting an Electrical Business’ course is for people just starting a business whereas the ‘Estimating’ course is more suitable for existing businesses that are taking on large scale work such as commercial and industrial.

Capstone training for apprentices

Is your Capstone assessment coming up but you’re rusty on your theory because it’s been a year since you last attended TAFE? We can help you.

Capstone training for apprentices

This unit covers inspection and testing to verify whether an electrical installation is safe and complies with all requirements.

capstone faq

Do you have a question about Capstone Training?


If I’m not confident I can pass my TAFE capstone exam can I get tuition from NECA Training to help improve my knowledge for the assessment?

Yes. NECA Training can give you tuition for the capstone assessment even if the assessment is with another institution. Please refer to the Capstone Training for Apprentices course for dates and prices.

Is NECA Training conducting the capstone assessment?

No. NECA Training is only offering tuition at this point in time. Assessments still need to be conducted by the institution you completed your certificate 3 training with.

Is there a limit to how many times I can attend tuition with NECA Training?

No. You can attend tuition as many times as you need to feel confident in your knowledge however fees are charged every time you attend.

Do I have to attend both the practical and theory tuition if I only need help in the theory?

No. We offer theory and practical training separately. Just select the component you need and enrol.

Disconnect/reconnect (hot water, motors, appliances)

This course is suitable for non-electrical tradespeople wanting to perform their own electrical connections when conducting a like-for-like replacement.

disconnect/reconnect (hot water, motors, appliances)

This course is suitable for non-electrical tradespeople wanting to perform their own electrical connections when conducting a like-for-like replacement. The most common example is a plumber wanting to connect power to a hot water system, water pump or combination gas/electric oven.

disconnect / reconnect faq

Do you have a question about Disconnect / Reconnect Training?


Can I do electrical work after completing the Disconnect/ Reconnect course?

No. You must apply for a restricted licence with the department of fair trading after completing the course. This information is covered in detail during the course.

Note: You must have a relevant trade licence to be accepted by the department of fair trading. An example would be a plumber that needs the training to disconnect and reconnect a hot water system.


Time to refresh? We have, Lock Out Tag Out – Electrical Safety (Code of Practice) – Installation Testing for Compliance – Working with Asbestos for Electricians – LV Rescue/CPR.

Electrical Safety – Safe Work Code of Practice + Arc Flash

This course is designed to keep employees up to date with the latest legislative changes relating to safety in the electrical industry and refreshing good safety practices.

Isolate- Lock Out-Tag Out

This course is ideal for electrical contractors that want to ensure all staff are refreshed on electrical safety rules and practices.

Installation Testing for Compliance

This course is a mixture of theory and practical associated with the testing of a domestic and light commercial installation.

Working Safe with Asbestos in the Electrical Industry

Designed for electrical workers on the safe drilling and handling of asbestos materials, covering the essential theory knowledge as well as a practical component highlighting current Industry best practice.

Perform rescue from a live LV panel + CPR

This Competency Unit covers the performance of rescue procedures from live Low Voltage apparatus, not including overhead lines and underground cables in the work place.

training faq

Do you have a question about Electrical / Industrial Training?


Is the training available to non-members?

Yes. In fact 80% of our enrolments are non-members.

What should I do if I’m sick and cannot attend training?

Please leave a message on our ‘Leave a Message’ form and let us know you’re not coming. Our admin staff check the inbox every morning and will notify the trainer.

Can I mix and match courses?

FLEXIBLE PACKAGES – Create your own training package. Select any 2 half day training courses to create a full days training. (Minimum numbers apply)

Are then any hidden extras?

Our ASP training package is all inclusive and there are no hidden costs. Please ensure any quotes obtained from training providers include all pre-requisite and statutory training.

If I have a large group can I organise my own course dates?

GROUP BOOKINGS – Custom sessions can be organised for group bookings (minimum group sizes apply). Please leave a message using our ‘Cntact Us’ form and we’ll get back to you.

What’s the course date? Do you have more dates after that one?

Click on the ‘Dates and Booking’ button inside the course description to view the available dates. If the dates available are not suitable for you please leave a message using the contact form and we’ll notify you of the next course dates when they’re published.

I’m after the Asbestos Awareness for ACT, can I do your course?

No. Our course is non accredited. The ACT has a specific requirement for accredited training.

Do you offer onsite training?

Not normally. All our specialised equipment and computer rooms are set up in our training centre so it needs to remain on site. We have large scale commercial clients that we deliver on-site training for but these are arranged with them on a contract basis.

I want to become an electrician. What do I do?

Contact the NECA apprenticeships team on (02) 9744 2754 or

I’m not a Member, can I enrol in your courses?

Yes. You’d be surprised to know the majority of our students are not members.

I’m a NECA Member. Do I get a discount for training courses?

Not at this point in time.

When do I need to pay for my training?

Training MUST be paid for before attending a course.

Can I pay the course on the day with cash?

No. We do not accept cash payments and will not accept a booking without prior payment.

Where are you located?

We’re located at 30 Day Street North, Silverwater NSW.

Do you have other training centres in different locations?

Not at the moment. We’re investigating options in other parts of NSW and the ACT but nothing has been confirmed.

What is the USI (Unique Student Identifier)? Do I need it to enrol? Where and how do I get it?

For more information on how to get a USI and what it is CLICK HERE.

Solar Grid + Battery Storage

Demand for Solar installations is increasing. Are you qualified to install solar panels and inverters? We offer face to face training in accredited solar courses.

Designer-installer of grid connected pv systems

This unit covers the installation, adjustment and set-up of photovoltaic power systems and connecting to a supply grid inverter.

battery storage for grid connected pv systems

This unit involves the skills and knowledge required to safely and effectively install, maintain and fault find battery storage systems for grid-connected photovoltaic (PV) systems.

Solar Grid and Battery Storage faq

Do you have a question about Solar Grid and Battery Storage Training?


I want to install Solar Panels. What do I need to do?

Attend the Solar Grid Connect course listed on this website and then apply to the Clean Energy Council (CEC) for accreditation. Details on how to apply are discussed in detail throughout the course.

Do I need to be a licensed electrician to install solar panels?

Technical no but the prerequisite subjects required to attend the course are embedded in the electrical trade and we don’t offer them as separate subjects here at NECA Training. This means we can only accept electricians or apprentices that have completed the certificate 3 but haven’t received their proficiency certificate yet.

The exact wording on ASQAs website for the prerequisites is:

  • UEENEEE104A -Solve problems in d.c. circuits
  • UEENEEE137A -Document and apply measures to control OHS risks associated with electrotechnology work and
  • UEENEEE108A -Lay wiring/cabling and terminate accessories for extra-low voltage (ELV) circuits or
  • UEENEEG106A – Terminate cables, cords and accessories for low voltage circuits

Note: Those holding an Unrestricted Electrician’s Licence or equivalent issued in an Australian State or Territory meet the pre-requisite requirements of this unit.


I’m an engineer, can I complete the Grid Connect course and Design and Install solar panels?

Anyone can attend our training and receive a certificate of completion at the end of the course but a person can only receive a statement of attainment and be officially qualified if they meet the prerequisite requirements stated in the previous point.

Are NECA Training offering a battery storage course?



Open registration – Structured Cabling (cat 6) – Coaxial – Optic Fibre – Smart Wired and more! Don’t risk your training with organisations that aren’t backed by Industry.

Telecommunications Cabling Courses

This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to follow safe working practices and environmental policy in the management of a telecommunications workplace.

install and configure ip devices

This unit describes the skills and knowledge required for entry-level installations and testing for Internet protocol (IP) based telecommunications networking.

design-install smart technology network (smart wired)

This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to prepare design drawings and specification for indoor or outdoor.

telecommunications faq

Do you have a question about Telecommunications Training?


I want to get the Open Registration Cablers licence. What course do I enrol in to get the licence.

Enrol in the ‘Open Registration’ course on the telecommunications page of this website.

If I complete the Open Registration and the endorsements is it the same thing as having Cert III?

Technically no, it’s not the same thing however there is a huge array of work you can do with just the Open registration and endorsements. Many electricians complete the endorsements to supplement the electrical work they normally do.

Do I need to have an electrical licence to do telecommunications training?

No but someone starting ‘green’ needs to complete additional training and demonstrate 360 hours work. For more information read page 3 of the ACMA registration rule HERE.

Can I install Cat. 6 cable if I’ve completed the ‘Open Registration’ course?

No. You must also complete the ‘Structured Cabling’ endorsement.